Tonight I tackled two small blocks with a color layer, the first time I’ve used anything but black ink in a loooooong time. These were modeled after the burgundy dahlias in my wedding bouquet, my favorite flowers.
My trusty studio cat supervised the process.
A while back I was invited to donate a piece of art for a fundraiser in March. Because the submission deadline is actually in February, I’ve been working hard to finish a new book before the due date–an alphabet book of Pacific Northwest animals.
Thanks to the internet I was able to find an animal for every letter, which proved more difficult than I’d initially thought. Then I sketched each one, carved them onto woodblocks, and printed them onto sekishu paper, a process that took about two weeks altogether.
My chaotic but excellent workspace.
The Challenge proof press. It was actually nice outside when I started printing this weekend, so I got to open up my garage door and get some sunshine. Look at all them prints. A is for anemone! And weirdly enough so is Z in this series, because the only Z animal I could find was another type of anemone.Even though the most time consuming part of the process is finished, I still have to trim these prints, mount them to the pages of the book, make the covers and sew the book itself. So here’s hoping I can get all that done before my deadline.